Vision – A social movement of global citizens cultivating healthy, happy and sustainable local communities! The Local Earth Collective inspires healthy lifestyles in relationship to self, community & Planet.
Why– Let’s take a real look at our local & global community, and ask ourselves how we got here?! Our present human behaviors are leading to environmental degradation, rapid depletion of natural resources, alarming loss of plant & animal biodiversity, failing economic systems and political instability. Our collective actions have resulted in unsustainable population growth, sky-rocketing consumption rates, unrealistic energy demands and dependency on fossil fuels.
Local Earth inspires us to come together as community; and work together to address both the local & global challenges we are facing as a society. With creativity, cooperation & collaboration we can create innovative and viable solutions. *Added Bonus – It is more fun & feels good to work together as a community! We can not do this alone.*
What – Local Earth is a social movement led by activated local citizens to create communities with a healthy balance of self-reliance and interdependence. The platform is providing people in every neighborhood, town and country around the world the ability to work together towards a common vision; a healthy, happy and environmentally sustainable planet.
How – The Community Resilience Program is designed to inspire, educate, empower and activate local citizens. The Local Earth Handbook is a step-by-step guide to sustainable transition in existing communities; and forward-thinking solutions for future community development.
Who – Local Action Groups are formed by inspired members of the collective who have a strong desire to create positive change in a specific area. This provides people in any community with simple and effective ways to get involved with meaningful local projects. The Handbook empowers anyone-anywhere with the necessary information, guidance and tools to start a Local Action Group in their community.
Where – Local Earth is a global movement intended to inspire sustainable local action in communities everywhere! There is currently Local Earth activity in California, Colorado, Oregon, Montana, Haiti, Costa Rica & Switzerland.
When – Our community organizing prototype has been in action in San Diego since 2012 in San Diego, CA. The Local Earth Festival is intended to kick-off in 2016/17!
Conscious Community Development & Personal Empowerment
Methodologies for Community Support & Development
- Strengthening existing community: inspiring & supporting communication amongst existing groups & organizations
- Connecting existing community: inspiring & supporting collaboration amongst existing groups & organizations
- Observing human behaviours & conditions: research of patterns and other factors that lead to both positive & negative results within community
- Activating citizens: advocacy, awareness, education and empowerment to promote positive action
- Creating new models for community: research-based development of systems and solutions for a healthy, happy, and sustainable society
Community Resilience Program
Working together as community to create a healthy, happy & sustainable world.
Community Action Plan – A blueprint for building strength & resilience in local communities with awareness, inspiration, creativity, education, empowerment & ACTION!
- Monthly Social – Fun monthly social events that includes inspiring & thought-provoking entertainment. (examples: Food & Film, Lunch & Letters @ the Coop, Transition Tuesdays, etc.)
- Weekly Gathering – Casual weekly get together to discuss local projects, planning & implementation.
- Action Groups – Community groups with specific passions, focus and interest. The groups offer local citizens an opportunity to get involved with meaningful local projects. (ie. food, water, shelter/building, economy, energy, waste management, natural resource management, transportation, politics, wellness/health, re-skilling, community visioning/planning & art)
- Workshops & Training – Frequent community education (health, resilience & sustainability)
- Awakening the Dreamer Symposiums – Interactive transformational workshops that inspire participants to play a role in creating a new future. Includes training local leaders to facilitate future symposiums. (offered frequently- http://www.awakeningthedreamer.org/)
- Seeds of Transition Study Groups – Weekly study groups to inspire, encourage and connect communities as they self-organize to create initiatives that rebuild resilience and reduce CO2 emissions. Includes training local citizens to become a leading part of the movement. (http://www.transitionnetwork.org/)
Collaboration Coalition – Connecting existing communities, groups & organizations to facilitate communication, cooperation, collaboration and exchange.
- Website, Calendar & Blog (discussion boards, events, informative & interactive)
- Newsletter (highlighting activities, initiatives and accomplishments)
- Networking Events (round-table discussions, Green Drinks, etc)
Living Labs – Research groups focused on human behaviors that are leading to our current challenges.
- Research (via methodology, indicators, experimentation, etc)
- Evidence-based solutions
Local Earth Festival – Annual celebration of community and nature; inspiring citizens of the world to create resilient local communities & healthy lifestyles. A seven day festival of education and inspiration.
- Workshops & Training – natural building, permaculture, music, art, health and yoga
- Collaborative Design, Development & Building – Ecovillages, Community Resource Centers and Green Schools
Conscious Citizen Tools – Tools & resources that inspire members to be conscious consumers & caring citizens.
- Local Earth Handbook: Step-by-step guide to starting a Local Earth Community Action Group.
- Conscious Citizen Kit (minimize consumer waste): Reusable shopping bag, cup/coffee mug, bamboo bowl/cutlery etc.
- Local Earth Daily Organizer: Simple daily organizer with easy steps of eco-action, inspiration & resources.
- Children’s Books & Games: Fun, creative & educational resources to inspire children about eco-consciousness & healthy lifestyles.
Professional Design Services – Professional architecture, design, city/urban planning & community development services. Specialized in natural design & ecologic community development.
- Ecovillage – Design/Build
- Community Resource Center – Design/Build
- Green School – Design/Build
- Private Living Dwellings – Design/Build